Vegan Korean Bibimbap
- Yield: 2
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total: 40 Minutes
2 cup black rice (or short grain white rice), cooked
3 oz of fresh spinach
½ large carrot, cut into matchstick strips
1 small yellow squash (or zucchini), cut into matchstick strips
1 large Persian cucumber, cut into matchstick strips
1/8 head of small red cabbage, shredded
2 oz Sweet Earth Traditional Seitan slices or strips, cut into bite size strips
3 oz kimchi (we like King’s brand, vegan, available at Safeway), sliced into bite size
6 oz fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and cut into quarter pieces
Kosher salt and ground black pepper
1½ TBSP vegetable oil for sautéing
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil plus more for drizzling
½ tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 garlic clove, minced
½ tsp soy sauce
1 tsp mirin
2 TBSP Gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste – we like Sunchang brand, available at Safeway)
½ TBSP sugar or agave nectar syrup
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
3 TBSP water
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker or following package directions, using a little less water than called for. The rice for bibimbap should be a tiny bit drier than usual for best results.
- Spinach: blanch the spinach in salted boiling water until until wilted, 30 seconds. Drain quickly and shock in cold water. Squeeze out water. Cut into 1½ inch lengths. Toss with ½ tsp minced garlic, ½ tsp sesame oil, ¼ tsp sesame seeds and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Carrot & Yellow Squash: Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 2-3 minutes over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Seitan: Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 1 minutes over medium high heat. Add ½ tsp soy sauce, ¼ tsp sesame oil and ¼ tsp sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Shiitake mushroom: Marinate in ½ tsp soy sauce, ½ tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp mirin, ½ tsp minced garlic and a pinch black pepper for 10-15 minutes. Sauté in a lightly oiled skillet for 3-4 minutes over medium high heat. Set aside.
- Gochujang sauce: Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly. To assemble, place a serving of rice in a big bowl. (If using a stone bowl, heat it over medium heat until very hot. Add 1 TBSP sesame oil and rice and cook the rice for 2-3 minutes until the rice sizzles.) Nicely arrange a small amount of each prepared vegetable, kimchi and seitan over the rice. Drizzle optional extra sesame oil over. Serve with gochujang sauce. Gently but firmly mix every ingredient together and enjoy!