Thanksgiving Potato Smash with Chipotle Seitan
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total: 20 Minutes
12 ea. whole baby red potatoes
2 TBSP olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
3 oz Sweet Earth chipotle seitan ground, warmed
Vegan Mushroom Gravy (yields about 2 ½ cups – can be made 2-3 days ahead of time):
1 TBSP vegan butter (we like Earth Balance brand)
1 TBSP olive oil
½ large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp kosher salt (add more or less depending on what kind of stock you use)
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms, sliced (about 10-12 medium mushrooms)
2 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
1 tsp fresh thyme, leaves picked
2 TBSP marsala wine or white wine (optional)
2 TBSP AP flour
2 cups vegan “chicken” stock (or any stock of your choice)
1 TBSP soy sauce
Cointreau Cranberry Sauce (yields about 2 ½ cups – can be made 2-3 days ahead of time):
12 oz fresh cranberries, washed and drained
½ cup sugar
1/8 cup water
1 freshly squeezed orange (about 2/3 cup)
1 orange peel/rind (from the same orange above)
2 TBSP Cointreau (or any orange liqueur)
½ tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
½ tsp fresh thyme, tips of the sprigs picked
½ tsp fresh orange peel
Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cover the potatoes with cold salted water in a pot. Bring to a boil and cook them until they are fork-tender in the center, about 15 minutes. Drain Potatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place cooked potatoes on the sheet leaving some room between each potato. Gently press down each potato with your palm or with a potato masher so each potato is about ½ inch thick. Brush both sides of each crushed potato with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- For the vegan mushroom gravy: Heat vegan butter and olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Add onion and garlic and cook over medium-low heat until golden and soft but not browned about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until they are tender about 3-4 minutes. Add sage and thyme and stir. Add flour and stir until the mushrooms are well coated. Cook for 1 minute then deglaze pan with optional Marsala wine. Cook off the alcohol.
- Slowly add stock and soy sauce and stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Take the mushrooms out and set aside. Transfer gravy mixture (Be very careful, it’s HOT) to a high speed blender (such as Blendtec or Vitamix) in two batches and blend until smooth. Put the mushrooms and the blended gravy back to the sauté pan. Bring the mushroom gravy to a simmer and cook for another 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- For the cranberry sauce: Add cranberries to a medium saucepan. Add sugar, water, orange juice and orange peel. Bring to a boil and low boil for 3-4 minutes. Stir often. Lower heat to a simmer, add orange liqueur and cook for 10-15 minutes until cranberries are soft and all popped. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool. The sauce will thicken up significantly.
- Assemble the potatoes: Top each potato with ½ TBSP mushroom gravy, 1 tsp Sweet Earth chipotle seitan groun and ½ TBSP cranberry sauce. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, orange peel and thyme leaves. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.