Roasted Butternut Squash, Tuscan Veggie Sausage, Walnut & Sage Pasta
- Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: Under an hour.
- Total: Under 90 Minutes
2 cup butternut squash, peeled and seeded, cubed into ½ inch pieces
1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¼ tsp cinnamon
3 TBSP olive oil (divided)
¼ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
6 oz whole wheat spaghetti
2 TBSP vegan butter (we like Earth Balance brand)
5 fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
½ package (4 oz) Sweet Earth Tuscan Veggie Sausage, cubed into ½ inch pieces
4 leaves dinosaur kale, stem removed and thinly sliced
1 small shallot, small dice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
½ lemon juice, freshly squeezed
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
¼ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
½ cup parsley, finely chopped
1 lemon peels
- Preheat the oven to 400F. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash and chickpeas with the cinnamon, 1 TBSP olive oil, salt and pepper. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast until the squash and chickpeas are golden brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until tender, about 12 minutes or al dente. Reserve 2 cups of the pasta water, drain the pasta and set aside.
- Melt 1 TBSP olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the cubed veggie sausage patties for about 5 minutes, turning frequently until lightly crisp on the outside. Transfer them to a plate.
- Melt the vegan butter in the same saucepan over medium heat, stir constantly, keeping a close eye on the color of the butter. When the foam subsides and the butter turns slightly brown, add the sage leaves. Remove from heat and as soon as the sage leaves start to curl, transfer them to the plate with the sausage patties.
- Add 1 TBSP olive oil and kale to the same saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Add the roasted butternut squash, chickpeas and cooked vegan sausage patty cubes to the same saucepan.
- Add the lemon juice and balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Add the pasta, walnut and sage to the whole mixture and toss well. Add the reserved pasta water to help loosen it and create a light sauce. Adjust seasonings.
- Remove from the heat, then stir in the parsley.
- Top each serving with a little lemon peels. Enjoy!