Korean-Style Vegan Tacos
- Yield: 2 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total: 35 minutes
for the Bulgogi-style seitan
One, 8-oz. package of Sweet Earth Traditional Seitan Slices
1/4 yellow onion, grated
1/2 pear, grated
1 tsp ginger, grated
1 clove garlic, grated
2 TB soy sauce
2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp gochugaru or crushed red pepper flakes
vegetable or canola oil, for searing the seitan
to serve the tacos
6-8 flour or corn tortillas, slightly warmed
1 cup red cabbage, mandolined
1 carrot, mandolined
2 scallions, sliced
cilantro, roughly chopped
vegan sour cream or creamy dressing
black and white sesame seeds
- First, slice the seitan slices into slightly larger than bite-size pieces. There are variations in the thickness of the seitan, which actually adds a nice textural element in the finished dish.
- Combine the rest of the marinade ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl and stir. Add in the seitan and toss the mixture around with your hands or a large spoon until well-coated. Cover and place into the refrigerator to marinate overnight.
- To sear the marinated seitan, preheat a large cast iron pan over medium-heat for a minute or two. Add a little oil to the pan, and roll it around to coat.
- Working in batches, shake off any excess marinade and place the seitan in a single layer in the pan.
- Allow it to cook on one side for a minute or two, then flip and finish the other side. Repeat with the rest of the seitan.
- If there are any burnt bits stuck to the pan in between batches, just use a spatula to scrape them off before making your next batch.
- Place the seitan in the tortillas with the desired amount of veggies, kimchi, herbs and sauce. Serve immediately.