Hearty Vegan Pizza with Butternut Squash
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 1 Hour
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Total: 1 Hour 50 Minutes
1 cup hot water
1 packet active dry yeast
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2¾ cups white whole wheat flour*
3½ cups butternut squash, cut into ½-inch chunks
1½ cups broccoli florets, chopped
¼ cup non-dairy milk
¼ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon (1 clove) garlic, minced
¾ cup Sweet Earth Natural Foods Tuscan Savory Grounds
½ red onion, thinly sliced
Handful of arugula
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add hot water. Sprinkle the yeast on top; let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add applesauce, apple cider vinegar and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.
- Slowly add the flour to the bowl ½ cup at a time. Stir the ingredients until just combined (don’t overmix), and place the dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead with your hands until the dough is completely smooth. Return to the bowl; let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with foil or lightly grease with oil.
- Place the broccoli and butternut squash on the baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tender.
- In a food processor or blender, add butternut squash, non-dairy milk, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth, adding more milk if needed. Set aside. Increase heat to 400F.
- In a skillet over medium heat, warm a little water or oil. Add sliced onion; cook for 5-7 minutes, until browned and caramelized.
- Remove pizza dough from bowl. Cut into two sections for two thin crust pizzas, or do not cut for one thick pizza. Knead the dough a few times on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to your desired thickness. Place on the baking sheet.
- Add butternut squash mixture and spread on top. Add onions, broccoli, and savory grounds. Bake for 13-15 minutes; top with a handful of arugula and dig in!