Curry Seitan Pot Pie
- Yield: Serves 4 - 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total: Less than 1 Hour
• 4 Tablespoons Earth Balance Olive Oil Spread (or other Vegan Butter)
• 1/2 cup Finely Diced Onion
• 1/2 cup Finely Diced Carrot
• 1/2 cup Finely Diced Celery
• 1/2 cup Black Olives, pitted
• 1 pkg. Sweet Earth Curry Satay (Seitan)
• 1/4 cup Flour
• 3 cups Vegetable Broth, Plus More If Needed
• Splash Of White Wine (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
• Salt And Pepper, to taste
• Chopped Fresh Thyme To Taste
• 1/4 cup Almond Milk
• 1 whole Unbaked Vegan Pie Crust (or can make your own –http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/…/12/easy-vegan-pie-cr…/ )
• 1 @FollowYourHeart Vegan Egg
• 2 Tablespoons Water
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Melt the vegan butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then add the onion, carrots, celery, and olives. Stir them around until the onions start to turn translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the Sweet Earth Seitan and then sprinkle the flour over the top and stir it until it’s all combined with the seitan and vegetables. Cook for 1 minute, then pour in the vegetable broth (and wine if using) and stir it around and let it cook and thicken. Once it starts to thicken add the turmeric, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Add the almond milk, then stir the mixture and let it bubble up and thicken, about 3 minutes. If it seems overly thick, splash in a little more broth. Turn off the heat.
- Pour the filling into a 2-quart baking dish. Roll out the pie crust on a floured surface and lay it over the top of the dish. Press the dough so that the edges stick to the outside of the pan. Use a knife to cut little vents here and there in the surface of the dough.
- Mix together the vegan egg with 2 tablespoons water and brush it all over the surface of the crust. (You will have some egg wash left over.)
- Place the pie on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is deep golden brown and the filling is bubbly. To prevent the crust from getting too brown, you might want to cover it lightly with foil for the first 15 minutes of baking time.