Butternut Squash Bacon Soup
- Yield: 4
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total: 1 Hour
1 pound peeled butternut squash chopped
3/4 cup diced yellow onion
5.5 ounce package Sweet Earth Benevolent Bacon™ divided
1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
5 cups vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
15 ounce can of Butter Beans drained
1 cup chopped Swiss Chard firmly packed, stems removed and diced
1/2 teaspoon cooking oil
Remaining Benevolent Bacon™
Fresh sage optional
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. In a large mixing bowl, place butternut squash, onion, 4-5 strips of chopped Benevolent Bacon™ (leaving 4 strips for garnish), and oil. Toss, then add salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Toss again, until evenly coated and layer evenly on the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven and roast for 30-35 minutes, or until butternut squash is fork tender with some browning edges. In the last 10 minutes of squash mixture roasting, warm vegetable broth in a large pot, with sage and thyme added in.
- Once everything is roasted, and broth is simmering, add roasted mixture from baking sheet to pot, along with butter beans and chard leaves (not stems). Bring back to a light simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- While the soup is simmering, heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, place 4 strips of Benevolent Bacon™ and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, then flip and cook 2-3 minutes on the other side. Once browned, bacon from pan and chop up.
- For plating, divide soup between four bowls, garnish with crispy bacon, chopped chard stems, and a couple leaves of sage.