Vegan “Tuna” Poke Salad
- Yield: Serves 2
- Prep Time: 45 Minutes
- Cook Time: 0 Minutes
- Total: 45 Minutes
2 TBSP wakame seaweed, dried
2 handful kelp noodle (approximately 3-4 oz)
3 medium tomatoes, blanched and peeled
2 TBSP rice vinegar
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP mirin
1 TBSP yuzu juice (or the juice of a lime)
½ garlic, grated on a microplane grater
1 TBSP toasted sesame oil
¼ small red onion, thinly sliced crosswise
4 oz Sweet Earth Traditional Seitan strips, cut into bite size pieces
1 TBSP toasted white and/or black sesame seeds
1 handful baby greens, rinse and pat dry
½ avocado, cut in cubes
3 radishes, cut in small cubes
2 TBSP edamame
2 TBSP macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
- Soak wakame seaweed in 1 cup cold water in a small bowl until softened, about 20 minutes. Rinse well, squeeze excess water and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare kelp noodle according to package directions. Drain well and snip into 2” lengths with kitchen shears and set aside.
- Tomatoes: Slice the tomato vertically (from stem top to bottom) into four quarters.
Use a sharp knife to carefully slice the seeds away from the tomato flesh. Discard the seeds. Put the tomato flesh in a small bowl and set aside. (see the link below for how to blanch and peel tomatoes: http://www.theyummylife.com/blanch_and_peel_tomatoes )
- Ponzu sauce: Whisk vinegar, soy sauce, mirin, yuzu juice, garlic and sesame oil in a large bowl.
- Transfer 2 TBSP of ponzu sauce to a large bowl. Add kelp noodle, wakame seaweed and onion and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Transfer 1 TBSP of sauce to a small bowl. Add seitan pieces and toss to coat. Using chopsticks, coat one side of each seitan piece with sesame seeds and set aside.
- Transfer 2 TBSP of sauce to the bowl with tomatoes. Gently mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Add baby greens to the bowl used to make ponzu sauce. Toss to coat. Add avocado, radishes, edamame to bowl with baby greens and toss again. Set aside.
- Nicely arrange baby green mixture among serving plates. Place noodle mixture in the center. Top with dressed tomato “tuna”. Spread sesame seitan pieces around the noodles. Sprinkle with macadamia and sesame seeds and enjoy!