Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Curry Seitan & Pepitas
- Yield: Serves 6 - 8
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total: 1 Hour
1 large butternut squash (about 3½-4 lb), washed and peeled
1 TBSP olive oil
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP vegan butter (we like Earth Balance brand)
1 small shallot, small diced
½ large yellow onion, small diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1 TBSP curry powder
¼ tsp kosher salt (add more or less depending on what kind of stock you use)
1 cup coconut milk
5 cup vegan “chicken” stock (or any stock of your choice)
1 TBSP maple syrup or agave syrup
2 oz Sweet Earth Curry Seitan Satay, grilled and medium diced
¼ cup roasted pepitas (hulled pumpkin seeds)
1 TBSP parsley, finely chopped
3 TBSP coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scrap out the seeds. Cut the squash halves into similar sized big chunks, about 10 pieces. Place the squash on baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast them about 40-45 minutes or until they are fork-tender. Set aside.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil, vegan butter, shallot, onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Turn down heat if cooking too quickly. Add curry powder and salt and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, stock, maple syrup and the roasted squash and bring to a simmer.
- In 2-3 batched, transfer soup mixture to a high speed blender (such as Blendtec or Vitamix) and puree the soup until very smooth. Place a towel over the top of the lid before mixing to avoid any accident. Pour blended mixture to a clean medium saucepan.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for 7-10 minutes and taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve as is or with optional topping(s): curry seitan cubes, pepitas, parsley and/or coconut milk. Enjoy!